Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Quick catch-up post...

We started classes today. I had Greek (which was insanely tough) and Ancient Greek History (taught in English). It looks like the semester is going to be the easiest one I’ve ever had and ever could imagine. I have photography tomorrow and another session of Greek on Thursday, and then a nice 4 day weekend for the next 9 weeks. It’s awesome not having class on Monday or Friday. I’m actually finding City University to be somewhat of a joke. They’re insanely disorganized and really dysfunctional when it comes to planning. I realize part of that is the carefree Greek culture, but I think it may have something to do with the school too. I mean, what school decides which classes to offer only after the students sign up for classes. A lot of my American classmates are starting to get really frustrated with the school and their lack of concern for our need to graduate in 4 years, not 8 like most Greek college kids…Despite all the frustrating things that have happened in the past week or so, things here are still awesome. I'm loving every second and couldn't ask for a better experience.

Overall though, things are going well here. Like I said, the trips were awesome and an absolutely amazing experience. I definitely saw and experienced Greece in a way that the vast majority of visitors or tourists do not. I’m getting a little homesick. The newness of Greece is starting to wear off. The ruins seem a little less impressive, the gyros seem a little less tasty, and my desire for a Philly cheesesteak or New York style pizza is increasing. I am kinda glad of one thing though. I still enjoy city life. I thought about living in Philly or something when I graduate and this seemed like a good test to that thought process. So far, so good on that.

I’m starting to have to adjust on my own, too. This week I’ve gone grocery shopping, dropped (and picked up) my laundry at the cleaners (10 bucks seems like a lot for wash, dry, and fold but once you’ve tried to do the laundry in the tub, it’s well worth it) and gone to the pharmacy on top of my normal duties such as class, etc. It’s definitely been a big adjustment to learn to do these things, especially when everything is in Greek. Try finding day-quil when the letters on the box look like the drawings of a 5-year-old kid. Not easy. Anyway, I am still loving it here, despite the slight twinge of homesick-ness and the nasty cold I am fighting off. We’re planning on going to Santorini this weekend, but apparently it’s supposed to rain. We’ll see. It sucks that the only rain in the forecast for the next few weeks is the one weekend we all decide to go to a world-famous island. We went to Aegina, an island about an hour away from Athens, and that was amazingly beautiful and lived up to any and every expectation about Greek islands. I can’t wait to see what Santorini has in store.

Oh! And before I wrap up, how could I forget...I met up with our family friend, Mr. Bauer yesterday for a traditional Greek lunch. It was hands-down the best meal I have had here. It included squid, whole fish (you ate the head, eyes, tail...everything. About the size of a sardine, maybe bigger...I ate a dozen) octopus with the suction cups still on, and tons of other delicious foods. The one that I had a hard time with, however, was the surprise of the meal. Goat testicles. I didn't know until after I'd swallowed what I had eaten. Definitely an experience to remember. Goat testicles aside, the food was unbelievable and the 4-hour lunch seemed to fly by and I had an awesome time.

Alright I need to catch some z’s. I have a Photojournalism class tomorrow at 10, and the toughest task will not be to learn, but to stay awake during the 3 hours.

Later,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment