Monday, November 2, 2009

Wow! It's November Already....

Alright so it’s been awhile. I feel like every time I post, it’s been a while. Anyway, last time I wrote, I was going to Lycabettus Hill. Turned out to be an awesome decision. The semi-strenuous hike was worth it to be at the highest point in the city…It was sick to see 360 degrees of Athens. We even were able to spot our apartments from there. The best part of the night, however, was not the sunset from the chapel atop the hill, but finding a place called Simply Burger about half a mile from our apartment. We were all dying to get an American meal and we had heard rumors of this awesome burger place. Little did I know that I would get one of the biggest, best burgers ever there. The huge burger and fries was well worth the 11 Euros I paid and it definitely helped the burger craving.

That weekend was kind of a wash…it rained harder than I think anybody here had ever seen because the city was pretty much empty and the streets were flooded. Fortunately I had passed up on a weekend in Mykonos, a famous Greek island. They had the same weather and it threw off their plans even more. Needless to say, the soccer game I was planning on was cancelled.

Oh, we had off last Wednesday for Oxi Day...a national holiday here in Greece. It celebrates the day that the Greeks stood up to Nazi Germany during WWII...basically the day consisted of a parade around Syntagma Square of schoolchildren in really funny traditional dress and all the stores and restaurants being closed...Despite actually having to cook that night, it was a pretty fun day...

I’m starting to get into a little bit of a routine here…It’s been good to get into a semi-normal school schedule. We had our first photo class with our prof, who turned out to be a famous journalist in Europe. He’s the man. He showed up with a camera and his motorcycle helmet and rolled into class wearing sweats. He’s hilarious and I think the class will be really enjoyable. I’m already liking the assignments…I spent today hanging down by the Acropolis taking pictures and had a blast.

The past weekend was a good time…We headed to the first national cemetery on Saturday morning on account of the Halloween holiday (which no one celebrates here). The place was a little creepy, but unbelievably cool. People definitely got some awesome pictures for class, but unfortunately my camera died before we got there. We had our Halloween party that night and it was a really good time…I went as Kevin Costner since we met him on the street a few weeks ago…I lucked out and had similar clothes to the stuff he was wearing that day, so I had a decent costume and even got to avoid thinking of something to wear real hard for Halloween which is probably one of my least favorite activities.

That was Saturday and today is Monday night so I didn’t do a ton between now and then besides stay up until like 6 am watching the Phillies games, which I really don’t wanna even begin to start writing about in fear of punching a hole through my computer screen. The only thing more frustrating than watching your team struggle is watching your team struggle halfway around the world at 6 in the morning. Crappy play aside, it’s been good being able to watch the series…I have to give some serious props to Ryan Powell for hooking me up with his slingbox access code. Basically, I was able to watch his home tv over the internet here…..awesome to say the least even if I’ve only gotten 8 hours of sleep in the last few nights.

On a more serious note than basically goofing off, going to class, and watching the Phils, life here is starting to feel a bit more like “real life.” The first few weeks were ridiculous. We basically saw these unbelievable historical sites, explored the city, and enjoyed just being in a foreign country. I’m still loving the city and the freedom that I have over here and can’t get enough of exploring Athens….I try to see a new part of this huge place every chance I get…However, the school routine is making it feel more like school and less like a vacation…which is probably a good thing.

Tensions are starting to run a little high within the group and there’s been a little bit of drama and bickering between people, which is a little annoying. I think the combination of knowing people juuuuust well enough to tick them off and push their buttons and being homesick is starting to take its toll on everyone. I can’t complain though. It’s been great to grow in friendships with some people that I would never have expected to be friends with and learn a lot about myself and others in the process. I told someone the other day, I feel like even though I haven’t learned much academically here, I feel like I’ve learned more about myself and the world in the past 6 weeks that I did in the year of school leading up to this trip.

Alright, I’ve gotta run. Time to do some Greek homework.

Peace and love,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment